Looking for the Best Laptop for Solidworks?
Whether you are buying a laptop for studying a mechanical course or you are a professional in developing mechanical products, solidworks will be the best software for you to pursue this kind of task. The solid work software is considered one of the best softwares as it is very encompassing and very handy to the users.
People find it very confusing to find the best laptop for solidworks. Solid work is a software that switches from one task to another in a very short interval of time. If you are a mechanical student who is just about to start designing then solid work is considered very good for the students who are actually beginners.
This we need a powerful high end laptop that can work efficiently having so much of workload. We need a very good laptop to see the true potential of the solidworks software.
So which laptop to buy if you are going to use the solidworks software. This mainly depends upon what purpose you are using the solidworks software, is it for learning purpose or you are a professional. If you are a student and you are not a 3D modeler then it is recommended to have a moderate featured laptop.
It is not very important for this kind of user to have a very powerful laptop. These kinds of work can be done in a standard laptop. But if you are a person who uses solidworks for the tasks that are given at the industry level then you need a very powerful laptop that can give high-end performances because in the industry level tasks you need to work with the 2D and 3D modelling which have to be rendered at a high speed.
While people do not understand that they don’t need to go for a very expensive laptop but it is important to understand first that for what purpose are you going to use the laptop.
However before buying a laptop you need to keep in mind the features that your laptop provides and what important features are required in a laptop that will help in completing your project conveniently.
So before investing your money in a laptop you must need to see that the laptop comes with a great processor that provides great processing speed and it also has other specifications like sufficient Ram and it should also have an impressive GPU and a quick SSD.
When we talk about the solidwork software then we will see that there is no such software that can compete with the advantages and the features that the solidworks provides.
In this list we will give you the names of the Best Laptop for Solidworks for the students and as well as for the professionals. Here you will be able to see the laptops which will satisfy all your requirements for working with the solidworks software. The laptops on this less of every range that means there are some expensive laptops and some of the mid range.
Top 5 Best laptop for SolidWorks
1. Acer Nitro 5
Acer nitro 5 is considered as one of the best laptops for the students all for the people who have just started working with solidworks. This laptop does not come under the category of a workstation but still fulfills most of the requirements that are required for people working with the solidworks software. This laptop is neither for the beginners and nor has the entry level specifications.
The Acer nitro 5 has been equipped with some old generation CPU and with a high frequency GPU. Show the Acer nitro 5 is capable of handling simulations less than hundred parts and also capable of handling simulations up to 700 parts and it totally depends on how you are working with it.
The Acer nitro can be considered a very good deal as it offers you all the required specifications working with the solidworks and is also really affordable and with this it also provides you with good CPU and GPU specifications.
If you ever feel that your laptop lags when you increase the simulation then you can do one thing that you can increase the RAM to 16GB. this should not be the problem with the students aur with the users who have just started working with the solidworks but this could be the problem with the professionals.
The Acer nitro 5 has a Intel core i5 9300H processor and it has been equipped with an 8GB RAM which can be increased in the future according to the will of the user. The GPO that the Acer nitro 5 provides is the GeForce GTX 1650 which is sufficient for the students to work with the solidworks.
The Acer nitro 5 provides a 15 inches full HD screen with 1080p IPS resolution. It comes with the average weight and it provides sufficient battery life of 5 hours which depends on for what purpose are you using it.
2. Surface Book 3: Best Laptop For Solidworks
You are a student who just started taking solid work classes or you want a laptop which you can carry everywhere and you are not facing budget constraints then you can obviously go for the Microsoft Surface 3. It is one of the most portable and one of the most powerful laptops that can be used for the solidworks software.
The surface 3 comes with a quad core i7 8th gen processor that can work up to the speed of 4.2 GHz. It also has a 16GB Ram and is equipped with a NVidia GTX 1050 2GB GDDr5 RAM.
If you are a student and still can’t afford this Microsoft Surface 3 then you can go for the lower version that comes with 8GB of Ram and you can also decrease the storage space to cut down the cost.
If we go for the workstation laptop, they come equipped with the P, T and RTX series GPU then it will cost you a lot of money so if you are a student then it is not recommended for you to invest in the workstations unless and until you want to buy it on your own. Microsoft Surface 3 is a very lightweight laptop it only weighs 3.62 lb and it also provides a mind blowing battery life of about 17 hours.
3. MSI WE72 7RJ
This laptop is one of the best workstation laptops that you can get in the market. The MSI WE72 is a laptop that can perform all types of high end tasks that are required when you work with the solidworks software. The MSI WE72 is considered as one of the most powerful laptops present in the market.
This laptop comes with a Nvidia Quadro M2200 GPU and along with it the MSI WE72 comes with 4GB of RAM that makes the laptop even more powerful. When we talk about the processor that the laptop provides, we will see that it provides an Intel core i7-7700HQ processor that can work up to a speed of 3.8GHz.
The laptop has all the required specifications that are required for working with the larger assemblies that the professionals require.
With the powerful processor that the MSI WE72 provides, it becomes very easy for the laptop to handle all the rendering and visuals and all the complex processes that are involved in the solidworks software.
When we talk about the memory that the MSI WE72 offers then we will see that the device comes with 32 GB of RAM which is sufficient for working with all the large simulations and all the tough rendering stuff very easily. If you are one of those who is very good at designing and you make very little errors, then 32 GB of RAM is enough for you to work with.
The MSI WE72 comes with a 17.3 inch screen which can be considered very good for a workstation laptop and along with their State office is resolution of 1920 × 1080p.
While this laptop can not be considered as one of the brightest laptops present in the market but it provides you with 196% sRGB colour gamut. The MSI WE72 comes with a steel series keyboard with a very nice touch pad. It also offers you a basic and quite good webcam and it also has decent speakers. The laptop also provides you a battery life of about 4 hours.
Let’s list out some of the pros and cons of the MSI WE72 :
- The laptop provides you with brilliant keyboard
- Also offers you a decent size screen
- The GPU that it provides can be considered as one of the top GPUs for CAD softwares
- The laptop is also equipped with very powerful processes that consist of six cores.
- The battery life is not upto the mark.
- Disappointing pot arrangement
If you were looking for a laptop that is best for both the professionals as well as the students then the HP Zbook is for you. HP Zbook has been powered by the Intel core i9 8750 HK processor.
This powerful workstation is all about working and doing all the task giving to the laptop swiftly. With the specifications that the HP Zbook has it cant clock up to the speed of 4.10 GHz without any hassle.
The HP Zbook has been powered by the Quadro P600 GPU from Nvidia that can very well handle all the requirements of the solidworks software does not matters how many number of parts or assemblies are you working but this laptop will work perfectly. It also provides you whether 4GB of VRAM that makes all these works like the rendering smooth
When we talk about the memory aspect of this laptop then we will see that it comes with 16GB of built-in RAM which can be increased whenever the user wants. You can also see a 15.6 inch full HD screen on the the HP Zbook and along with this they provide a resolution of 1920 × 1080p.
The HP Zbook also comes with a backlit keyboard and a functional touchpad and along with this you will also see a 2megapixel full HD webcam. Not only this, the laptop also has good quality speakers and microphone. As we all know that the HP Zbook is one of the best workstations but still the laptop just weighs 4.72 pounds. It also comes with 3 USB ports of type A.
The HP Zbook promises a battery backup for 10 hours but we can only use at for 7 to 8 hours if we’re doing some high end work. But still this powerful workstation can render and stimulate all the Solidworks parts very easily and smoothly.
Let’s put an eye on some of the pros and cons of the HP Zbook:
- Very powerful graphics card
- Extendable Ram
- Enough storage for working with large assembly parts.
- Good cache movie that helps in fast calculations
- The Ethernet port feels a little stiff.
Razer blade 15 is a good choice for a people who are looking for a laptop just for drawing and modelling with the help of the solidworks software. The Razer Blade15 is also a very good gaming device and can run some high graphics games with ease.
This powerful laptop comes with 10th gen Intel core i7 10750H processor which can provide very high top speed of 1 to 5 GHz which makes it possible for the laptop to do even faster calculations.
The Razer blade 15 comes with a chipset which is very much known for hyper threading and the laptop also enables the users to stimulate very easily. Laptop comes with Nvidia GeForce rtx 2070 GPU that makes easy for the users while working with the solidworks software because it lets them easily manoeuvre large assemblies and 3D rendering which are GPU-accelerated. With the help of the CUDA cores and 8GB of VRAM it becomes possible for the users to handle assemblies of above 500 parts.
The Razer blade 15 is equipped with a 16 GB RAM which is very much capable of performing error-free assemblies very easily. It also provides of 512 GB SSD storage which is enough for rendering fast data and it also helps in booting the windows 10 OS very quickly.
I want to talk about the display of the Razer blade 15 we will find 15.6 inch display screen which is very vibrant and also provides rendering clarity. This full HD panel provides 1920 × 1080p resolution. The help of the 144Hz refresh rate that the Razer blade 15 provides improves the the rendering and helps in loading the 3D models and it also improves the experience of gaming on this laptop.
On this powerful machine you can enjoy games with high graphics and I’m pretty much sure that the result won’t be disappointing at all because it provides excellent visuals.
The Razer blade 15 comes weather very good keyboard which has Croma pre keys and along with this it supports RGB backlit. It also gives you a very good touch pad and webcam of good quality. The Razer blade 15 weighs 4.63 pounds and it also has USB 3.1 and more. It also provides a good battery backup of about 6 hours.
Let’s have a look at some of the pros and cons of the Razer blade 15:
- It provides a very powerful GPU
- High resolution display
- Sufficient battery backup
- Decent weight
- The performance of the CPU is not upto the mark.
Buying Guide To Best Laptop for Solidworks
- CPU – The laptop that you are going to buy must have a very powerful CPU. It should be equipped with the 10 gen Intel core i7 or atleast the 9th gen Intel core i5. If your laptop does not have at least these processors then it will be very difficult for you to work with the solidworks. As solidworks software requires a very tough CPU to show all the possibilities that the solidworks can offer.
- RAM – it is recommended to have a laptop that consists of 16 GB of RAM if you want to work with the solidworks if not 16 then it is highly recommended that laptop must at least have 8GB of RAM, lesser Ram 8GB will make it really difficult for you to work with this software.
- Storage – The laptop that you are considering must come with a 1TB SSD for dual storage and if not it should at least have a 256 GB SSD.
- Display – for working with the solidworks the laptop must come with 15.6 inches ISP type full HD display or atleast the laptop must have 15.6 inches full HD display.
- GPU – having a powerful GPU is a very important factor why you are working with the solidworks software. It is highly recommended to have a 2GB Plus and vdr Quadro or 4GB + Nvidia RTX graphics card in your laptop and if not then it should at least have a 2GB Nvidia GeForce mx150.
- Battery – Battery is considered as one of the most important factors that should be present in a good laptop. It is recommended to have a laptop that provides a battery life of 8 hours or more and if not then it must least provide the battery life up to 4 hours.
more related reviews on laptop:
- 6 Best Laptop for Streaming
- 6 Best Laptop for Teachers
- 8 Best Budget Laptop For Photoshop
- 5 Best i7 laptop
If you are still confused about which laptop to buy if you want to work with the solidworks then you can do one thing that you can ask people who have used the solidworks software in both types of laptops which are the regular ones and the workstations. You can also rely on the information that is provided from the people that have used the software during the college times and also during their jobs.
These people will know all the specifications like the RAM CPU and how much storage is required for working with the solidworks software. To make it easy for you we will list down all the minimum requirements and all the recommended system requirements for the students and for the professionals who are going to work on the solidworks software.
For understanding all these things you will need to have some technical knowledge about the laptops which will make your work a lot easier.
Here we will list the specifications that are required to be present in a student’s Laptop. By students laptop me in laptops for the people who are just starting to work with the solid work in their engineering colleges or classes.
Here we will also list all the requirements and specifications that are to be present for a professional to work with solidworks because the professionals need highest expectations because they need to work with more complex structures and need to deal with large assemblies.
For the students we would recommend that they don’t have to buy workstations as the students don’t have so many parts and accessories but for the professionals we would recommend that they must go for the workstations as there are many parts for them to assemble and to work with. The laptops for the students will cost a much lesser than the laptops for the professionals.
Here we will list some specifications that are required in a laptop for students as well as for the professionals who need workstation GPUs.
Firstly we will see the hardware requirements for the laptop that are used by the students and for the laptops that are used for small parts.
- For modelling and drawing we can use any GPU but when it comes to simulation and rendering then we recommend Nvidia MX150, 1050, 1050Ti, AMD RX 555 what the average or normal laptop.
- The storage for the average laptops for modelling and drawing should be 256 GB SSD and same for simulation and rendering.
- When we talk about the RAM for the modelling and drawing purpose then it should be 8GB and when we talk about the simulation and rendering then also 8 GB of RAM is sufficient.
- The CPU required for modelling and drawing is Intel core i3 8 gen or above or ADM Ryzen 3 or above.
Now let’s see the hardware specifications for the laptops that need to be workstations
- When we talk about the GPU requirement for modelling and drawing for the workstations then we recommend the Nvidia rtx series or the Quadro T/RTX series and when we talk about simulation and rendering then the GPU requirement should be of the Nvidia rtx series or the Quadro T RTX series.
- The storage space in the workstations for modelling and drawing should be 1TB HDD + PCLe SSD and for simulation and rendering it should be one TB HDD + PCLe SSD.
- The RAM requirement for modelling and drawing is 16 to 32GB and for simulation and rendering the RAM requirement is also the same 16 to 32GB.
- Talk about the CPU modelling and drawing it should be Intel core i7 and it could be of any generation but when we talk about simulation and rendering it should be Intel core i7 or core i9 of 9th or 10th generation.
So these were some of the best laptop for solidworks that people can choose if they want to work with the solidworks software. The above listed laptops are good for the students and some of them are equally good for the professionals.
They are arranging quality and simulation seems to be pretty good and will cause no problem while working with larger assembly parts on the solidworks software.
It does not matters that if you are a student or a professional or among those who have just started working or is planning to start working on the solidworks software these laptops are surely value for money.